Purge teh lambs.
K, I'll go now *Goes back to PS2*
Continued from the What Are You Planning for your Kids thread, here we discuss natural selection:
It started with Wiseman's reply to OCB:
<font size="2" face="Verdana,sans-serif">Now then I replied with:1. Wam bam sex feels great, and you can have it without having kids. Sex is healthy and nice.
2. You think something coming out of there covered in blood is sick? Then what's it like when we donate blood? And what do you think about taking a poop? It's just natural. The pain is not, but the human race is not fully adapted to 2 legs yet and we have stopped the natural selection, so it'll be up to Science to fix it one day. But if with all the pain women (like your mother and mine) want to have children, I guess it must not be such a bad experience overall. Or do you think you shouldn't have been born?
<font size="2" face="Verdana,sans-serif">----Well natural selection hasn't completely stopped for human kind, however it has slowed down much further than before, with no real changes as was before.
So thus a topic was born. Feel free to discuss anything dealing with Natural Selection and please don't go too OT.
<font color="#101010" size="1">[ October 27, 2004 05:20 PM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>
Purge teh lambs.
K, I'll go now *Goes back to PS2*
A man of few words.
I think natural selection is pretty cool. Not great. a little overrated, like Final Fantasy and such, but if it werent for nature we wouldnt have pokemon and all its various spin-offs. And thats great because its got animals and such. In fact, isnt pokemon breeching ecological rights? We're entrapping 150+ different pokemon here, whats that teaching out kids? Kids should be shot too...
Ok, bye.
Yep, it's the same as forcin' animals to fight. But never mind that, it's only a cartoon...
^_^
I dont want models to flood my neighbourhood... I just want one model for myself.
IRT N: I think we did stop natural selection, because:
- Better skilled/smarter specimens are not given more chances to reproduce and have more children
- Specimens with defects and inabilities are not pruned, and what's worse, they mate
This sounds savage, but this is how natural selection works, and how we got to be what we are.
Of course I'm the first one to say we have to help a blind person instead of killing him, and if he finds somebody, blind or not, that loves him/her, it'll be so great if they marry, but this really screws up natural selection, and we might regret it in a hundred millenia, if humanity gets to survive that much (with the current flow of events, I don't think so).
But keep in mind we'll never fix our problems like visual defects or pain giving birth. No lions are gonna eat us if we can't sem or hear them, etc. And other things like cancer and Alzheimer will never get fixed even with natural selection, as they happen after reproduction. So we'll have to rely on Science to do everything and save our asses, perhaps genetically manipulating new people if necessary. (Looks like it will be unavoidable because of the Y chromosome problem.)
And our current intelligence is all we got, there won't be improvements either since smarter people doesn't mate more. Cultural improvements will help get the best of us though. Think the middle age, where most, smart or not, were used for work on the fields, while now they are given better suited jobs. A great cultural improvements to effectively double our collective IQ would be to kill religion, for example.
????
IRT Beat-chan: Hadn't thought of that. Although these are fictional creatures that don't exist in reality, and it's a game, it does have the same principle. I guess I won't ever recommend Pok?mon to any kid.
ROFL
Now we have 750+ pokemons, Cata...
Pokemon also falls into the animal cruelty category. You are forcing otherwise peaceful animals to use their special abilities to fight each other. It's no better than dog or cock fights.
Anyhoo back with natural selection . . . it happens. I have a request that nature select more A&F models to be near the Ohio area. That'll be all ^_^
In humourous stuff, Pokemon was called evil by a Islamic cleric. Why? It involves evolution.
How damn cool is that?!
IRT Wiseman: I understand where you are coming from, and yes it has nearly halted. But think of poorer third world countries. Think of the tribes in Africa (insane or not) and you will notice these people are still evolving. Sure most of it happened quite some time ago, and in a way we are too. In modern countries people still adapt. Think of a family moving from a snowy region to a sunny region (just as my mom, her sister, and her parents moved down to NC from Michigan when she was younger to be with my grandpa's family), these people adapt, and their kids adapt. They all adapted, they became more used to hot weather and less to cold weather. Now then I am more used to hot weather than cold, also, and if I stay around the same temperature zones for most of my life, my kids will be also, and the same will be true with their kids. Yet when we would go to some place cold we would be less adapted to it.
Another example is with genes. When a male and a female reproduce it goes half and half, and in most correct cases, it is the strongest half on each side, weeding out the weaker half, and of course (good and bad) mutations happen over time. (Helping or hurting.) From this we conclude that natural selection is still an on going process (as it shall be as long as human reproduce naturally or until science finds a way to imitate this same procedure to take the best of the best genes), through this process we shall weed out weaker genes. However, today we are not evolving as rapidly due to being pampered, and other technological advances, as compared to people without such things. So it is not that natural selection has ended, it merely has slowed down for a lot of people, and at the rate it is going it shall stay about the same or drop even lower, but never stop. Once natural selection stops the human species is over.
However it is possible for science to improve weaker genes (in the future) so human will become better and better, but that is only if science evolves, also. But of course we already agree religion has to go for that to fully happen.
IRT OCB: They had the technology to use a Gameboy?
IRT OCB: Yea, gameboy is expensive... the Islamic... gameboys... I do not understand. I mean I can't believe it either... ^_^
Bookmarks